Acceptance into the PhD program is very competitive. Applicants must meet the admissions requirements of the Faculty of Graduate Studies, and also the program. Please read the following carefully.
|1)||Agreement from a qualified faculty member eligible to supervise PhD students and a member of the Faculty of Graduate Studies who is willing to supervise your research.|
|2)||Completion of a recognized baccalaureate degree and thesis-based master’s degree in Rehabilitation Sciences, or other related field. In exceptional circumstances, admission may be recommended for students with non-thesis master’s degrees e.g. MPT or MOT degrees, especially when students have participated in research activities or published paper(s).
|4)||Graduate Record Exam – GRE Applicants from non-Canadian or United States universities may be required to provide general (GRE) (Graduate Record Examination) scores as part of their application at the request of their proposed supervisor. Scores must be valid within the past 2 years.|
|5)||English competency Applicants from a university outside Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction must present evidence of competency to pursue studies in the English language prior to being extended an offer of admission. Acceptable English language proficiency tests for applicants to the PhD program are:
PLEASE NOTE: UBC now offers a special program for Chinese students wishing to take a PhD from UBC. The China Scholarship Council
|6)||Required documents. Please see description under Application Procedures.|
|7)||All new students are also required to supply or run through a Criminal Records Check as you typically will be working with a vulnerable population. If accepted, the fee will be $28.|
Applicants to our PhD program should obtain, complete and submit necessary forms and transcripts according to the following deadlines:
| January 15
||to begin studies in September|
|June 15||to begin studies in January or September (late admission)|
|October 15||to begin studies in January (late admission)|
A non-refundable application fee is required, cannot be deferred and is valid for only one application year. The online application accomodates credit card payment via Visa or Mastercard.
Current Graduate Application Fees:
Canadians (and Permanent Residents, Refugees and Diplomats): (CDN) $93.00
International Applicants: (CDN): $153.00
Applications will NOT be considered complete and will not be considered until all of the following documents are received by the School:
- A completed Graduate Studies application form.
- The non-refundable application fee
- If you are applying for a start date in 2016, you are required to upload scanned copies of documents as part of your program application. Instructions about scanned documents required and details of how to submit appropriate scanned copies are included within the online application.
- If you are offered admission, you will be required to submit official transcripts from all college or universities attended (or in which one is currently enrolled) to the Graduate and Postdoctoral office. Note to International Applicants: The Faculty of Graduate Studies has very strict requirements for these documents. Transcript Information for International Students.
- For current and former UBC students, you do not need to send in official transcripts for your UBC program as part of your graduate application package. However, please be aware that you are still responsible for submitting transcripts from all other post-secondary institutions that you have attended (e.g., exchange year, transfer year, etc.). If any transcript is not in English or French, an official translation must also be provided.
- Three letters of reference, all of which should be written by an individual who have knowledge of the applicant’s academic and/or research abilities. These letters must be mailed directly to the Program by the referees or they may be submitted online. These letters must be mailed directly to the school by the referees or they may be submitted online. Instructions for Reference Letters Download the Graduate Student Reference Form.
PDF format Reference Form Mail references and transcripts to:
- Eligible English language competency test results as listed above, if applicable. Please click here for further details.For information on Tuition Costs, please click on TUITION COSTS FOR PhD PROGRAM
- PhD Admissions- ATTN: Michael Jenner
Graduate Programs in Rehabilitation Sciences (MSc, PhD)
212, Friedman Building
2177 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3For further information on the PhD program, please contact:PhD Admissions
Phone: (604) 822-7044
Email PhD Admissions